Frequently Asked Questions
Card Acceptance Best Practices
Accepting credit cards for payment processing requires additional IRS reporting in the form of a 1099-K — a tax form presented to the IRS and used to report your processing volume.
Gravity Payments is required to report to the IRS the volume in payments processed by businesses each year.
We provide 1099-K copies to your business annually.
Dispute Manager is an online portal that lets you take immediate steps to review, respond, and monitor chargebacks.
The tool eliminates the need for paperwork to be mailed or faxed, which leads to easier and more efficient resolutions.
A chargeback is when a cardholder disputes a transaction they don’t recognize or believe was done in error.
The most common claims for chargebacks are:
- Incorrect amount charged to the cardholder.
- Item not received.
- Items or services not as described.
The chargeback system is run by the card brands (Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express, etc…
If you receive a chargeback notification in the mail, please respond as quickly as possible. There are often limitations and if the response date has passed, you may be left with little recourse to dispute the chargeback.
If you believe your business will be liable for a high number of chargebacks, please reach out to our support team via Dispute Manager, our chargeback-management tool.
A POS, or point-of-sale, is a combination of hardware and software system that allows business owners to manage the day-to-day operations of their business, complete transactions, and take in data for analytics and reporting purposes.
NABU stands for “network access and brand usage.” However NABU is a kind of catchall category for a range of card-brand and card-association fees.
As with interchange fees, NABU fees are not charged by Gravity Payments or by any credit card processing company, but by the banks and card brands themselves. The credit card processor only collects the fees and passes them through to the card brand and bank.
Interchange fees are the amount of money that banks and card brands (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover) charge for their services.
Credit card processors do not have control over these fees, and the fees are the same no matter where your merchant services account exists.
Our support representatives are cross-trained in all areas of payment processing.
The team is prepared to answer your questions about technical support, billing, troubleshooting, and more.
They’re available 24/7 at 888.900.7976.
Account approval takes 1-2 business days.
Once your account is approved, equipment ships in 2-3 business days.
A virtual terminal is an excellent backup solution for a standalone terminal or integrated solution.
With a virtual terminal, business owners with a merchant services account will be able to process their customers’ credit card payments online from any computer or mobile device that has an internet connection.
Call us at 888.900.7976 and ask for sales. We’d love to welcome you aboard!
Managing My Account
Statements are sent via email (for most merchants) at the beginning of each month.
You can expect all fees to be debited from your account within the first few days of each month.
All fees debited will reflect your previous month’s worth of processing.
If you prefer to have statements mailed to a different address, please call our technical support team at 888.900.7976.
Please contact your sales rep.
If you’re not sure of who your rep is, call us at 888.900.7976 and we can help.
Please call our support team at 888.900.7976. We can help you make the changes.
Privacy, Security, and Compliance
Payment Card Industry standards are a set of global payment account security recommendations. Compliance is a critical step in protecting customer data.
There are two types of PCI security standards:
- PCI PA-DSS (responsibility of the software vendor).Gravity Payments offers applications and products that are PCI PA-DSS compliant.
- PCI DSS (responsibility of the merchant).PCI-DSS compliance is the responsibility of every merchant. Compliance ensures you are doing everything you can to safeguard your customer data and that your business meets specific internal security requirements.
Don’t hesitate to give us a call if you have questions. 888.900.7976.
Instructions for Verifone VX520:
- rom the Sale/Refund/Void screen, press the green ENTER button
- Press the F2 button to the right of ‘SETUP’
- Enter in the password, 1 alpha alpha 66831 ENTER (the alpha key can be found right above the number 2)
- Scroll down by selecting the MORE key until you see ‘Date/ Time’
- Enter the date using the format shown on the screen, then press ENTER (ex: October 28th, 2020 would be 10282020)
- Enter the current time in military time , then press ENTER (ex: 2:30pm would be 143000)
- Press the red key twice to return to the sale screen – you should see the new date and time reflected on this screen
Instructions for First Data FD130:
- touch the orange tools icon in the top right-hand corner of the touch screen.
- touch date/time.
- Key in new date in MMDDYYYY format – for example March 4th, 2016 would be 03042016.
- Press Enter
- Key in new time in military time hours, minutes, second – for example one twenty four in the afternoon would be 132400.
- Press Enter
- Press the red cancel key until you are back on the home screen to see the updated date and time.
You can locate your Merchant ID (MID) number on the email you receive following installation, or in the top left corner of your merchant statement.
Your statements are usually sent to the corporate address you specified on your merchant worksheet prior to signing your Gravity Payments application.
You can also confirm your mailing address on your monthly statement in the upper left-hand corner.
Here are the instructions for Merchant Portal and your merchant console (gateway).
- Go to Merchant Portal and log in.
- Click on the “Reports” section on the left panel of the screen. You can use the filters to specify which transactions to view.
- When viewing a transaction report, click on the printer icon on the top-right corner of the page near the locations drop-down. This will open a PDF that you can print.
Merchant Console (Gateway)
- Go to https://secure.chargeitpro.com and log in.
- Go to the “Batches” page. Under the batch dropdown, select the day you wish to print a report for and click “View”.
- Click the “Print” button.
Gravity Payments client
- Click on the “Current Batch” tab to view transactions in the currently open batch, or click on “Closed Batches” to view transactions older than the currently open batch.
- Set the filters for how you want the transactions to display. You can select a 40-column report for a report that fits on receipt printer paper, or an 80-column report for a report that fits on normal printer paper.
- Click print/view to preview the report, and click the printer icon on the top-left corner of the page to print the report.
For your merchant console (gateway) or via Merchant Portal, you can click “Forgot Password?” and follow the prompts.
For your Gravity Payments client, please call us at 888.900.7976 and ask to speak with someone from our technical support department.
Give us a call and we’ll let you know how.
We’re available 24/7 at 888.900.7976.
We recommend daily batch closures and daily reconciliation between your point-of-sale (or business management system), Gravity Payments, and your online banking reporting system.
If you encounter a discrepancy, review your Gravity Payments reports or your transaction receipts.
Be aware of any payment transaction system (PTS) edits, which can cause discrepancies within your deposits. PTS edits occur when a transaction is pulled into review because of unusual behavior. Also, it can take 24-48 hours for a transaction to be reviewed and the funds released.
A transaction may get flagged for review if you ran a return that is:
- Larger than usual
- On a different credit card than the original sale
- For a partial amount.
If, after reviewing these possibilities, there is still a discrepancy between your deposits and the Gravity Payments reports, then we may need to verify your account settings. Please call us at 888.900.7976.
Call 888.900.7976 any time.
Banks have up to 30 days to deposit a return to a customer’s bank account.
However, that number is typically closer to 3-5 business days.
If the return is taking longer, please ask the customer to reach out to their bank to confirm a pending transaction. If the bank confirms there are no pending transactions, please call our technical support team: 888.900.7976.
- Merchant ID number.
- Passwords for all antivirus software
- Admin passwords, if applicable.
- Error codes, if applicable.